Thursday, April 26, 2012

About Me

A first-time foster mom for a puppy named Trooper


Hi, I'm Meredith. I'm a full-time staff member of the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA in Ontario, where I have worked for the past year and a half.

At the shelter, the temptation to adopt an animal is always there. Dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs - we've got them all and they all need good homes. A pretty significant roadblock is my 12 year old Basset Hound, Maizie. She's afraid of other dogs and since she's in her golden years, I usually feel that she's earned the right to have my husband and I all to herself.

But my attitude changed yesterday when our Veterinary Technician, Lesley, came to my office with Trooper.

Trooper is a sweet little Jack Russell Terrier puppy who was hit by a car last week. He was surrendered to us and our vet determined his right hind leg needed to be amputated. Trooper needed to stay at least overnight with a staff member or volunteer to ensure he got his pain medication on time. I just couldn't let this poor sweetheart go without pain meds when he's already been through so much. So I warned Maizie and my husband, packed up the medication and off we went to Trooper's temporary home - my house!

Trooper will likely need 2 weeks to recover before he's ready to go up for adoption. I hope you will follow our progress as my family adjusts to another furry friend and more importantly, as Trooper adjusts to life on 3 legs!

Meeting Trooper for the first time in my office

No comments:

Post a Comment